Short Term Let License Applications


The vast majority of accommodation that is offered to a guest for a payment will require a Short Term Let License.  This includes caravans, holiday properties, guest houses, B & Bs, rooms within a private dwelling and many more.

These fall under one of several categories, secondary letting, home letting or home sharing and the owner/host will need to apply for the appropriate license.

Applications need to be supported with a number of essential documents and follow mandatory conditions.  Owners/hosts need to work through Parts J, K and L to meet the conditions required to comply with the license. 

Granted licenses cannot be changed or transferred or properties altered or extended, without further applications for amendments.

All hosts must have a STL license to be able to operate within the law under the 1982 Act: The Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 (Licensing of Short-Term Lets) Order 2022, No 32. 

Our Services

We offer easy jargon free help with completing the full application process, ensuring you have the right documentation to support the application and helping you acquire the correct certificates.

We will ensure that you comply with Parts J, K and L and prepare owner packages which will have all the relevant documentation in hard copy and digital format, along with relevant review or expiry dates.

We will prepare a property information package for the premises which will contain the legally required documentation that has to be available for you guests. 

For clients taking our full service we will also place site notices and conduct site visits to obtain any additional necessary information.

Full Service £300

Start to finish service ensuring all sections of the licensing requirements are met, applications submitted, owner and guest packages prepared and full support throughout.  Clients using our full service also receive a significant discount on our Fire Risk Assessment services.

Application and Form Checking Service £75

Suitable for those hosts who feel they are ready to submit the completed forms with all documentation and have complied with Parts J & K. 

Transfer of License / Change of DDM £150

Applications can be made to transfer a license (usually due to the sale of property) to retain the continuity of business.

A DDM is considered a joint holder of any license and cannot be changed without application.  There are strict Laws and an owner/host only has 6 weeks from when a current DDM stops acting as such to make the application or the license ceases to be valid.

Renewals or Amendments from £50

Amendments may be an increase in the number of occupants a property can accommodate or changes to floor plans.

Renewals will be dependent on the conditions of the original license granted but are likely to occur 3 yearly.


©Copyright. All rights reserved.

We need your consent to load the translations

We use a third-party service to translate the website content that may collect data about your activity. Please review the details in the privacy policy and accept the service to view the translations.